Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ode to the Chair

People may look at this picture and see an ugly, worn-out, overstuffed blue marshmallow recliner with an old picture in the seat.  But, I look at this chair and see my grandpa.   My grandpa passed away December 6, 2008.  He was a kind hearted man that I adored. He was the only grandpa I ever knew.  He was a likeable man that served his country with great honor.  He loved his family and was a great provider.  When he passed my granny gave us his chair. It is very comfortable, but definitely worn.  When I look at this picture, I can still see him leaning to the right side, with his left leg propped up, and holding the remote.  When I sit in the chair it actually leans to that side. Jerod and I rarely use this chair.  It sits down in the unfinished basement all alone.
  Recently our church had an event providing the opportunity to get rid of things we don't need that others could use.  I debated long and hard about giving someone else this chair.  I selfishly wanted to keep it.  I quickly realized my selfishness and recognized someone else could benefit from this blue marshmallow.  I had to remember that the chair is a material possession and that my grandpa is not in his chair.  He is living it up in Heaven with Jesus in a brand new recliner.
  I admit that I cried the day Jerod hauled it off.  I sat in it, recalled some precious memories and took a picture.  To you it may be just a chair, to me it is a memory, but to someone in our community it may be a bed or the only furniture they have.  I pray it is blessing to someone less fortunate.  I pray they find comfort in this blue chair and find hope in Jesus.

No comments: