Thursday, August 23, 2012

My Battle With Selfishness

Sometimes I wake up and wonder why I am here.  I remember reading all the bumper stickers that ask "Is your life purpose-driven?  I look back on the huge impact that book made in churches all across America.  Yet, I don't live that daily.  I get in a rut, a selfish routine.  I don't even pay attention to the world around me.  Selfishly I think "Well, I'm good, God rescued me.  I don't need to go out of my way and put my mess out there for others to judge me.  What will people say or think?"  I do just enough to feel good about myself.  I shared a little testimony of my mess at church, I sing on praise team, I serve when I am asked, I pray for other people, but sometimes I think there is more I should be doing.   I don't quite know where to begin, except to pray for Gods direction.  I know that I don't have it all together.  "I am a sinner, if it's not one thing it's another caught up in words, tangled in lies but you area a Savior and you take brokenness aside and make it beautiful." I battle with depression, anxiety, anger, worry, selfishness, and fear.  I know that He is making me beautiful, I know that He wants to use my story to help others.  The question is... am I too selfish or am I willing?  We were recently introduced to a new song.  I downloaded it so I could familiarize myself with it before we sang it in church.  It is called "All the Poor and Powerless" by All Sons and Daughters.  The lyrics are incredible and it makes me weep every time I hear it.  I urge you to listen to it and pay close attention to the words. 
 Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3tkUKVAlBk 
 
All the Poor and Powerless

All the poor and powerless
And all the lost and lonely
All the thieves will come confess
And know that You are holy
And know that You are holy

And all will sing out
Hallelujah
And we will cry out
Hallelujah
All the hearts who are content
And all who feel unworthy
And all who hurt with nothing left
Will know that You are holy

And all will sing out
Hallelujah
And we will cry out
Hallelujah

Shout it
Go on scream it from the mountains
Go on and tell it to the masses
That He is God
We will sing out
Hallelujah
And we will cry out
Hallelujah




No comments: